For the purpose of this project, imagine that you have been commissioned by Winchester City Council to carry out user research. This is part of an investigation looking at understanding and enriching user experience in and around the city.
Winchester city-centre activities under investigation:
As a team:
• primary research, observing and analysing user characteristics and
• secondary research, gathering data and information from online and
• identification of archetypal user group and sub-groups.
As an individual:
• create one well-crafted persona to represent each user group and
sub-group identified by the team research.
• research a variety of other user-modelling techniques. Make an
informed choice of two of these techniques and use them to further
model your user.
• evidence these individual activities by creating digital outputs of the
personas and user-models then publish them on your website. Publish a
digitised indicative selection from your sketchbooks etc.
• evidence your team activities through sketchbooks, notebooks
Workshop 14, Oct, 2019
This workshop we know what is user central design.
According to Steve Jobs, “understanding what your users need, how they think and how they behave and incorporating that understanding into every aspect of your process. (Jobs, 1997)
•Start with the customer experience
•Work back toward the technology
•Customer is main point
According to Michael Porter, “Business value and competitive advantage from considering the end consumer and society first…” (Porter, 2011)
There are two simple framework:
P A C T
People Activities Context Technologies
Who What Why How
Design for Do Do Who will buy it
User research model
Creat I Collect
— Collaborate —
Corrceptualize I Comprehend
Small team work practice
We make a list about what data should we get and how to get data. Also, we need to choose one to be our aim: School Cafe, Library and shuttle bus. We decide to get shuttle bus data, so, we make a list.
What user date can we collect?
- The timetable of WSA student who living in Southampton (time)
- Traffic condition (time)
- How many people will use shuttle bus?
- How many of the students would use the shuttle bus go to school and back to Southampton?
- What would they do if the bus not on time or they cannot take the bus?
- What would they do when they waiting the bus, and how long?
- How many of them know the bus tracker?
- Time consuming of students travel to interchange.
- Why you choose the shuttle bus? (friends, on time, spending, location, distance)
- Which factors would affect your choice? For example – Would the weather condition/ travel partner will impact your choice?
- Questionnaire – Social media, Internet (website)
- According the different weather condition
- Ask the stuff – (Video or voice interview)
- Collect the student information from the bus system
- Video or voice interview
- Take photo (photographic)
- Observation and recording
- Take the experience
- Feeling – Social media, photographic, Video or voice interview, Observation and recording
Yuna, Serena, Aria, Betty, Jessica
Using dimensions: Demographics, Sensing, Doing, Goals, Thinking, Feeling, Time, Relationship, Place
Workshop 21, Oct, 2019
This workshop just started to review what we said last week. Then we start learning new content about how to make a persona.
Qualitative: Doing & Thinking Qualitative: Doing & Thinking
Quantitative: Doing & Feeling Quantitative: Thinking & Feeling
We photo people clothes texture and hands and then put them in order. This text in order to find differences on the picture such as age, gender, etc.
We have a new group and new topic. Our group is get cycling data in central of Winchester. Now, we need to think about what data can we get.
The way to collect data: (50 people)
Observation on the street, Interview, Questionnaire, Social media
Who we can ask:
Cyclist, Cycling club member, Seller in cycling store
- Personal age, gender,
- Career, salary / monthly expenses
- How often do you cycle? (___/week, ___/month, every day, never)
- What is the purpose of your cycling?
(for exercise, go to work / school, environment protection, for travel)
- When and where do you usually ride bike?
- How do you feel when cycling? Is it the same every time?
- What factors will affect your cycling experience? (weather, terrain, etc.)
- What kind of bicycle or brand do you use?
- Who provides your bicycle? (buy it by yourself, gift from friend, rented bike, etc.)
- Where do you usually store your bicycle? Is that convenience?
(public bike park, private park or garage, etc.)
- Are you worried that your bike will be stolen? How did you do about this worry?
- If you bike broken, how do you repair it? (where? Can you repair by yourself?)
- Is there any equipment you bought for your bicycle? What is it?
- Are you cycling alone or with others? (family, friends, etc.)
- Have you taken part in any club or event about cycling?
- What is it? What did you do in this club / event?
- Have you encountered any danger during cycling?
Or what safety problems you worried during cycling?
- What you will do during your cycling journey? Or what kind of application you will use?
(listen to music / radio, use the digital map, use some apps to record the cycling journey)
Tutorial 24, Oct, 2019
•Experience is important
Try to experience by ourselves and then record our journey.
Feeling and thinking because we also in the Winchester
•Why they do it? This question is important.The job? Personal details are important, too
Plan: We divided two parts which are online and Interview.
——– Online (Chinese and English)
——– Interview (Inside the store, Outside the store, Skateboard park)
The first step, we separate different parts to translate different languages. And then we divided into two groups to find cycling people.
I have organize the same message about the cycling and this draft is what I will design a new persona. I have research what is persona. And some parts are different from the first draft.
This is my first persona thought. I write down every thing that he/she think. And then plan them in the publication. It likes brainstorming.
User modeling design
I want to draw by myself. So, illustration is the main style in the person photo.
Persona (first thought)
I design 2 persona.
Because we ask lots of students. Some of international students don’t cycling. They just live in accommodation. If they want to go somewhere, the first option is bus and the second is train. So, I compare these two group people.
From online questionnaire. I summary the data and select some necessary parts to compare different groups and promotion. On the research day, we found that the account of woman group is higher than man group and the woman group has a lot of same feature. The most popular option is go shopping and the second one is meeting for friends. But local people, they think cycling is better for air pollution. Some people instead care of cycling to go to work or go to college. After that, we went to Besports which is a cycling service spot.
I think I will use this layout, so, I try to divide every parts clearly. I get inspiration from this infographic and I like simple and clear style to show the data. The illustrations have a lot of details such as different languages.
My own infographic – user modeling
Because our group is researching Winchester cycling. So, I want to find a bicycle and then put it on my infographic. I find a bicycle and then divide it into five parts. I get this inspiration from “things come apart”. It divides whole part of one product. And each one can be a part.
After divided bicycle, I chose color scheme. I used photos that photoed by my classmates when interview and then get it colour scheme because I think it is more meaningful for my theme.
I divided five parts:
• Basic information (Gender, age, career, salary, purpose)
• Safety (Road safety, bicycle safety)
The above small icons are representative of each part and every factor, because I think there are some small icons that can also directly express and compare the differences of each type of population.
Design out every graphic elements. I need to think about the layout. Combining them together and then design a new data.
Basic information part:
Overall, I finished the basic information part because this part connect too many things. After that, I will put all parts in the whole layout.
First thought infographic:
This is my second user-modeling map technique. Because I don’t really understand what is the empathy map. So, I design a simple empathy map.
- Persona, empathy map and the infographic are not in same colour scheme.
- These three things look like same thing. All pages have same part. People don’t know how to focus on page
- Re-research what is persona, empathy map and other user modeling technology.
I have learned more idea from other classmates design work. I know how to change my word and then I will develop and explore my design work.
• Persona-change details: what is real persona the persona age too same . Change different age level. (Goal, role-directed, emotions, psychology, backgrounds.)
• Empathy map: re-organize information because every part (first thought draft) have empathy map concept. Also, the two empathy maps are same. Give up one or change two different empathy.
• Experience journey: This part I will add new technology. Because I don’t know how to do that before tutorial (crits.) And I learned from other classmate’s design work. So, I’ ll re-design: combine infographic design work.
About the age level, because in my questionnaire. The young people group and old people group are two large groups. So, I decide to change age level.
At first, I change two group. In my first thought. I think compare the local college student and International student but it is not working. So, I decided to compare old and young people groups.
Second thought draft:
The second I didn’t change, but I change the information about him. The international student cannot continue and work.
I just combine them together and get a simple sample. But they also have many problems. I ask friends and get their opinions. I totally understand the differences between these three parts. So, I will design again and then find more details in these three parts.
• Emotion proportion
• The young people group
• Experience Journey too similar
• Add more details in persona
• No empathy map
Final persona draft:
From first thought empathy map. I re-write the content. Also, I add two parts: Gain and Pain. Because I found every examples all have these two parts. I want these two parts stand out. They need striking and I test different background colour and then compare them. And then, I change the background transparency.
Finally, I choose the same background colour because I think the different background colour make the whole page too busy.
Experience journey map
I pick up some important points from first infographic and then redesign a new format. I correct some parts and use more illustrations from every plan table.
After illustration, I plan a virtual person’s day activities and things to do.
Young people group:
Basic on the old people group, I add some illustrations and then rewrite a new daily route.
Final design work: